The self-contained boathouse/cottage is at the coastal end of the Kingsburgh township and was the original boathouse and store for the historic Kingsburgh House where Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed after being rowed ‘over the sea to Skye’ from North Uist with Flora MacDonald in June 1746. And Kingsburgh was famously visited in 1773 by Dr Samuel Johnson and James Boswell. Dr Johnson described Flora MacDonald memorably in the words ‘if courage and fidelity be virtues (her name will) be mentioned with honour’. Dr Johnson also speaks of crossing ‘an arm of the sea’ from Kingsburgh on his way to Dunvegan – so saving a part of the strain of the journey. That has to have been crossing Loch Snizort from the Kingsburgh Boathouse to Lyndale or further west.
In the intervening years, the Boathouse had been a salt store, ‘Horace’s House’, and a refuge for animals and small vessels. But its spectacular location and sturdy structure sent the compelling message that it deserved to be rescued from the ruinous state that it had reached by year 2000.